Friday, March 29, 2019

Thoughts for Blue Angel page 181~241

Reading this part of the book makes me think a lot about how our mind has been manipulated by other people around us. From the beginning until now, Swenson expresses his inner conflicts all the time. Sometimes, he is being irrational, for example, even after Angela asked him to show her novel to his editor, he still believes Angela loves him. He does not want to accept the fact that she is blackmailing him after she slept with him. It is crystal clear that she is using him for her own good. What I like to point out is that we have been this kind of situation all the time. Sometimes, we know that somebody is taking advantage of your reputation or your power or your empathy, we choose to ignore and sacrifice for them. I had a similar experience when I was in High School that one of my friends (I thought she was my best friend) asked me to copy my notes into her book. Knowing that it was wrong but I did it for her because I was blinded by fake friendship. She treated me like I was nothing and she badmouthed about me behind my back. When I found out those gossips, she apologized and she talked me into that I was her only best friend. It took me years to realize that she was just using me to achieve her goals. Once, a week before finals, she borrowed my Math workbook and did not return until the last day. As a result, I almost failed Math finals but I managed to pass it. After that incident, I was wide awake and learned a lesson for life. Likewise, we make bad choices all the time for the sake of someone else's favor. It becomes like a circle, never ending unless someone forces to get out of that situation. And one of them is always sinner and the other is saint. Similarly, in this book, the relationship between Swenson and Angela, I want to know who will be sinner and who will be saint in the end.  

3 comments:

  1. This is so true I agree with you , we are the ones who decided if we want to see the truth or deny it . we all go threw this even if it’s with a family a relationship or friends . We get blind folded giving everything and not expecting anything back. But Swenson should’ve thought since the start I don’t think sleeping with a student is acceptable

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great response, Khine, but I wonder if it IS true that there is always a sinner and a saint. Who would be the saint in this situation? I think I'd have a hard time giving either Swenson or Angela that title.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my opinion, both Swenson and Angela are sinners in this book. Sherrie may deserve to be saint, I suppose. Even though she knew her husband betrayed her, she stayed with him for a while. She took time to leave him but in the end she chose to walk away.

      Delete