Monday, February 25, 2019

Poem Tilia Cordata

Tilia Cordata, by Jacqueline Osherow, is it a poem? When I frist seen it, I thought this is too long to be considered a poem; it seemed more like an essay. Yet, it is a poem. A poem about, I think, a young girls memories of being around her parents and always being reminded of the Holocaust. It seems that everything including food and certain smells remind her of a time and event she was not a part of. I believe, this is why she named the poem "Tilia Cordata," which is a tree that grows Europe.

The poem talks about a place, the place is Germany many years after he Holocaust.  My favorite couplets from the poem are: With which they abolish time and distance. He could find, behind the most straight forward utterance." "An implicit labyrinthine universe and another behind that," in section 79. From reading my section of the poem, I learned that the author knows nothing about Germany, except "ein cappuchino, and danke shon. And how even uttering those words made her feel as though she was committing treason.

No comments:

Post a Comment