Saturday, February 23, 2019

The Quiet Boy by Stephen Kampa

Another favorite poem from this week reading section is "The Quiet Boy". It is basically about a game played by author's students who wants which superpowers but in the poem, a group of teens is daydreaming about superpowers except one, a quiet one. For me, I can relate to the author's friendly relationship with his students. While I was reading this poem, I travelled back to the time where I was working as an assistant teacher in a private primary school in my homeland. My students were mostly 5 to 7 years old, and they were  hyper active and playful. It was hard to keep them quiet or make them do class work without fights, sometimes, things became out of order. So, I used to play "Freeze" game, just to calm them down. The game is simple, when I say "Freeze", they would stop whatever they were doing  and freeze, some might try silly pose, just to amuse me. I left them in that position a few seconds, then unfroze them and repeated all over again. It was one of their favorite games. It was more than game to us, it was an invisible bridge that makes our teacher-student relationship stronger and deeper.

1 comment: