Sunday, February 10, 2019

One of the poems that has stuck out to me from our readings of pages 1-46, is "Into the Mystery," by Tony Hoagland.  The meaning of the poem, to me, is that in life sometimes one has to leave the things they are accustomed to, and all of a sudden venture into unfamiliar territory. The stanza's: "Never to be pushed down onto a bed again, laughing, and have your clothes unbuttoned." And "Never to stand up in the rear of the pickup truck and scream, while blasting out of town."  I believe these two stanzas symbolize the fact that the person is leaving his home, or town.  Yet, instead of being afraid of the unknown, they embrace it;  "Now you sit on the brick wall in the cloudy afternoon, and swing your legs."  "Happy because there has never been a word for this."

1 comment:

  1. I think this is a great reading, Adonis. I also saw it as growing older and learning to appreciate the things that you may have missed when you were younger.

    ReplyDelete