Saturday, May 4, 2019

If "Blindness" is written in 2019

The more pages I have reached, the more curious I am. What if "Blindness" is written in recent years or in 2019, what things will be changed. For example, like radio of old man, nowadays, that device will be replaced by mobile phones or tablets. Are Siri or Alexa might help you? Maybe, as long as their batteries last but not more than 24 hours. What about super computers, what about Nuclear Power stations, what about Planes in the sky, submarines in the oceans, what about soldiers in front line, what about people in North pole. I picture myself how people's reaction to the moment the first man went blind could be completely altered. Some might stop and record what is going on right there and post it on social media, or tweet about it, or snap chat about it or stream live video. Some might even think this is a joke. Other might post on Instagram with title "#stuck in traffic#some guy went blind" because it is fact that nowadays people more cares about their life on social media than their life outside. That makes me think that are we blind already like Saramago said, aren't we? Every time we go online, everything we see, we listen to, we watch is mostly likely fake. The news, photos and videos on social media, if we don't look carefully, tens of, hundreds of them might not even accurate. It is so ironic that I remember people proudly said when Internet first was invented. They said the world is shrinking and globalization is happening, yet is it in a good way. What about the side effects? Are we having too much to chew on? I am not sure about it. Right now, I want to appreciate whatever good things we have because we don't know how things will turn out sooner or later. Overall, "Blindness" left me important message to think about and that message is really deep. Frankly, I am trying to catch up what he wanted to say. Hopefully, I will come around the right conclusion.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Khine: Really nice response. I'm not sure there is a "right" conclusion. Did Saramago anticipate social media? I'm not so sure, but I think your imagination of how this would become a "trending" event before it became a tragedy is spot-on.

    ReplyDelete