Monday, January 28, 2019

Response to First Christmas In The Village

In response to the poem "First Christmas in the Village", I personally thought it was a bit confusing after reading it for the first time on my own. I don't normally read or enjoy poems as much but I am always open to reading and discussing different kinds of liturature with other individuals. After reading it over a second and even third time, as well as discussing it with my peers I was able to grasp a better understanding of it and the story it held. What really caught my attention as well as clarified the poem was in stanza four, line three where David Mason wrote "that night all murders were forgotten". Which to me meant that when Jesus was born it was like a new beginning and second chance for the people. I very much enjoy reading and writing. I don't read books as often as I use to but I definitely love a great book. I personally feel like writing is one of my strong suits. It is not the easiest thing to do but I love expressing my opinions, my point of view and my thoughts on a specific topic. I also occasionally do free writing in a journal.

2 comments:

  1. The poem "First Christmas in the Village" was a confusing poem at first. I couldn't really tell what the main idea was about because of how the author would speak about multiple things. First, he spoke about the birth of a child from a widow and in the following stanza he spoke about an octopus being cooked. Once we reviewed the poem as a class and broke down each line I understood the topic of the poem. It's funny because what gave it away for me was the title and that's what you should usually read first. I actually didn't mind that I didn't know what the author was talking because it made me really analyze the writing and see what it was about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both of you are pointing out a crucial truth--that we must read carefully, and reread!, to get a good understanding of any complicated text.

    ReplyDelete