Sunday, January 27, 2019

Response to "First Christmas in the Village"

In my opinion, the poem is like a puzzle that wants reader to solve. The title gives the only one hint that the story was about First Christmas but I don't think that is the very first Christmas which Jesus was born. The words " stormy" and "widow" do not match up the story of First Christmas. Plus, in the title, it said " First Christmas in the Village".Here, the village could be anywhere in the world. But by looking at these lines in the second stanza, " A fisherman brought an octopus.....and laid it burning on my plate." I could say the village is by the sea. And then in the third stanza, he composed about the taste of octopus. But I quite can't figure out what this line means" And the illicit cards- Don't tell the priest- a wink at caution in the game of living". 
By the fourth stanza, I am able to pick up the meaning of "the birth" from the first line of the poem. In my opinion, it means the creation of long lost peace among the villagers. He also gave the supporting facts why the peace was born the night, because the raging storm, the warm fire and unexpected seafood feast. The last stanza was about the narrator's returning journey to his place, carrying a bucket of coals, so he could use those to warm himself instantly without bothering to wait for hours to heat up brand new coals.
All in all, I found this poem challenging and mysterious.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Khine:
    This is an excellent reading of this poem! I think you're exactly right to mention the octopus and not rush to offer some meaning or symbolism about it. Sometimes images just evoke a certain feeling, they create ambience or tone. It's the weirdest image in the poem, but it's also what stays in my mind after reading. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comment, Professor

    ReplyDelete